Monday, August 2, 2010

“You don’t have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things – to compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to reach challenging goals.” Edmund Hillary

How many of us want to be FANTASTIC all of the time?  Meee... (my hand it raised) but is it possible?

This has been an interesting few days for me.  Since my last post a lot of great and wonderful things have happened.  I will share with you my want to be FANTASTIC and how once can actually accomplish FANTASTIC doing ordinary things.

On Friday, July 30, I met up with some GREAT ladies from the 'hood' and we went on a 13-14 mile bike ride.  This was SO much fun!  Just a leisurely ride from the Florida Street Art Museum to the wetlands in American Canyon.  We all had different styles of bikes, rode at different levels, enjoyed each others company and flirted with traffic violations! (hee hee)  WHAT A FANTASTIC RIDE!  All we had to do was set a time and a place and roll!  The Vallejo Breakfast Cycle Club was born!  8am everyday at Florida and Marin, not matter if there is only one person or many people riding... someone will ride in honor of the earth, our health, and our community!  I am proud of these ladies.  They know who they are.

While on this ride, I got a call from the Boys and Girls Club to come by because the Members had something for me.  Well, I took a detour and went over to the Club to have the kids present me with a Scooby Doo Lunch Box, Flowers, and a Card signed by each kid!  I was so TOUCHED!  I felt FANTASTIC.

Well, Saturday was the BIG DAY!  In the SF Bay with my wetsuit on.  OH want a FEELING!  It was a nice early cold day (as predicted in the Bay Area).  When we go to Aquatic Park, I actually put on my wetsuit to keep warm!  I was coached into the water by my dear friend and cycle coach and believe me, I fought him all of the way in.  First the water was too cold, then my face and hands were cold, they I could not work my way upright one way so I did it another way.  Then I had to learn how to float on my back.  Then float upright (Oh those amazing wetsuits).  Then it was time to start swimming... and yes, the green water freaked me out a bit, but I started swimming a little at a time until I finally swam to the mid point buoy!  I than swam to another buoy, and then another one, and then the final one.  I was so excited I actually swallowed a huge gulp of salt water (yuck) and choked.  Though I was CHOKING, I felt FANTASTIC!  I was so excited when I saw just how far out I was... Yes, my suit was filling with water, yes my face was cold, yes something gross touched my hand, but I WAS EXCITED!  As I gathered my breath, I started to swim back to the shore.  I felt good in the water.  I kept swimming until I finally hit the shoreline with my hand.  As I tried to stand up, I fell face forward into the sand (ahahhaah) and finally I floated over and picked myself up!  What an experience!  I haven't swam in the ocean in a long time.  Now, the Triathlon is real!

On my way home, I stopped of and played Wii with my Friends and their Son.  Again, I was exhausted from swimming and jogging, driving and waking up early, but I still had lots of energy!  I later went to a party and again though I was tired, I FELT FANTASTIC having a great time with great friends!

It is our responsibility to decide if we are going to be fantastic or not.  You have to be self motivated enough to be FANTASTIC when you want to be FANTASTIC and know that reaching goals are your choice.  Again not matter how fast or slow, first or last, getting to the end is all that matters.  I truly believe that heroes are not made they are born... put on this earth to be and achieve the goal of being FANTASTIC for themselves and for those they surround themselves with.

Have a FANTASTIC week!

Some Really FANTASTIC People (GO TEAM!)
Phat Athlete

No comments:

Post a Comment