Wednesday, August 25, 2010

“Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.” Walter Elliott

Hi Friends:

I DID IT!  Yes... I completed my practice triathlon!  WOOOO HOOOO!  No injuries, at my own pace, and feeling good feeling GREAT afterwards.  (See Photo)

It was not easy.  As most of you know I pulled a muscle in my chest (still weird to me) and I was concerned that I was not going to be ready for the practice try.  I went to track training last week and then I did some swimming to get my muscles used to the motion.  Well, at this point, in my mind, I was ready.  But I still had some anxiety.  DON'T ASK ME WHY!  I really don't know why.  I guess the excitement of doing something that I have never done, in a 2 feet x 4 foot transition space, and not know how long it was going to take me gave me a little stress.  Needless to say, I could not sleep Thursday or Friday night just thinking about the swim.  I was not too concerned about the bike or the run/walk, but the swim was my vice as a .25 miles seems like 100 miles to me.  Don't ask why... It just does.

Well Saturday morning I got up at 5:15 am and got my clothes on.  Everything was packed the night before.  All I had to do was throw my stuff in the car and put my bike and bike rack on the car.  I also remembered I needed to get gas for my car so that little stress did not help.  We met at the Starbucks and I got some food and tea.  My teammate Michelle and I loaded up my car and headed to Santa Rosa.  (I really forgot how far but close it is)  We were both very nervous so we put The Roots on the iPod and rocked out to the lake.  It made us feel better.  Well, when we arrived, I saw the place where we were going to swim and was AYE OKAY!  It was a swimming hole, very different and calmer than the ocean, but it was .25 miles around.

Everything was set up for us.  We had to set up our area like a REAL TRIATHLON!  Small space, bikes on racks, clothes, shoes, stuff for later everywhere.  There was Goose Poop everywhere too.  I think the poop is still on the bottom of my pants even after wash.  After checking in, getting our race packets, numbers (I was 67... 6+7= 13... my lucky number???), putting on our wetsuits and swim gear, we were ready to go at 835... AM that is.  We jump in the water and  I expected it to be as cold as it was outside but when we got in the water to test it out, it was exceptionally warm.  Well once we got wet and used to the water we got out and the whistle was blown.  OFF WE GO!!!!!!!!!!  I jumped in the water and just could not get myself together.  My NERVES had taken over.  Finally, I found a spot so stand and just shake myself together.  Finally, after about 5 second, I said GO and jumped in and swam the rest of the lake.  I swam slow, but dang it, I did it!  When I got to the end, I got out of the water and headed to my transition area and took off my wetsuit, put on my bike shirt, my race shirt, glasses, a jacket, socks, bike shoes, my backpack and my helmet and off I went on a 10 mile ride.  I was a little slow on the out (7 to 9 mph) but fast coming back (14 to 17 mph).  I was surprised about how strong I was on the bike and I was not putting forth a lot of effort because I knew I still had a run to complete.  I did my two laps and on the way back, just before the big hill, I got a killer cramp in my calf.  I think it was because of how cold it was and because I did not eat much, but nonetheless, that hurt.  I walked up most of the big hill (about 1.5 blocks) to work the cramp out and then I pedaled back to my transition area to start my run/walk.

Well, the run/walk turned into a walk/run.  My calf hurt.  Finally, after walking about a half mile, I found my shot blocks with the sodium and potassium, ate those, and kept on moving.  I walked most of my 2.3 miles, but dang it, I did it.  I am so excited how well I did.

I am not sure how long it took, but I know it was less than 3 hours.  For the Pac Grove race, I am going to give myself 3 hours to complete it.  I will pace myself and go at my own pace.  I can do it.  I know I can.  I just have to find a way to combat my nerves.

Doing a triathlon takes a lot of perseverance.  You are really doing several short races, one after another after another.  This takes great training, but it also takes a healthy mind and a health spirit.  You have to have some fight in you.  My race is not a long one, but really, as Phat as I am, who would think I could do something like this?  Well, something in my heart has told me I could and I am not going to stop.  My goal is to one day complete a 1/2 IronMan Tri.  I want to do it before I turn 40!  You know that is a long time from now but I am pacing myself, getting myself in shape and keeping my mind and spirit in a place to achieve that goal.  I can do it, and you can too, if you look it as several small successes versus going out there one time and achieve One Big Success!

I will take a photo of my medal later and put it up with my next post.  Well, back to Aquatic Park this weekend!  Burrrr, just thinking about it.  Thank GOD for the SUPERSUIT!

Don't just stand there.... BUST A MOVE!

Best,

Phat Athlete

No comments:

Post a Comment