Monday, August 16, 2010

"Thanks Swimmer Biker Walker Texas Ranger!"- Jen "Mojito" Mojica

Hahaha.  This was the text from a message I received this week after helping a friend with something.  It kind of stuck with me as inspiration this week as I struggled with a little setback.  Walker Texas Ranger was the BEST!  You could get in a punch but you could never defeat him!  That is how I felt about my self this week as I had to deal with a minor injury.

I think (yes I think...) that sometimes we forget to listen to our bodies when we are striving for perfection or striving to reach something that seems out of our reach.  Well this week, I finally had my first real injury of the season.  You might think it should have been a sore ankle, strained leg muscle, knee problems, or another fall of the bike (stop laughing).  But it was the strangest injury, a strained chest muscle. (http://www.ehow.com/about_5073567_symptoms-strained-pectoral-muscle.html)

Oh the pain I had!  I don't know how I did this or how it got so bad, but I went for a swim on Monday, washed my hair, and braided my hair.  I think somewhere between getting out of the wetsuit and braiding my hair, I messed something up!  Again I repeat... OH THE PAIN!  I am on training restriction until the 17th!  (Grrrrr!  In George Lopez's voice... "Maaaannnn...I can't do nothing!")

Muscle strains are not joke.  Seeking proper treatment is important.  As much as I wanted to fight the pain and fact that I was actually hurt, my body stopped my mind from doing any kind of major activity this week (including excessive driving).  I think I said this before, but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  It is usually telling you the right thing.  After lots of ice, heat, and pain medication, I an feeling better and ready to jump in the water to finish mastering swimming on top of water in my Supersuit!

While resting, I learned how to workout in other ways.  I worked my mind by reading up on proper training and preventing injury, I worked my body by feeding it what it needed to repair itself (lots of protein) and by doing other low impact exercises like leg lifts and some core exercises to strengthen my core, and I worked out my patience by watch quite a few movies, documentaries, and catching up on my Summer TV Series (Drop Dead Diva and HawthoRNe).  Because I was so used to moving and going and training for the last two months, actually slowing down a bit was good for me.  Very good!

While resting, I realized... I have a long season ahead of me.  After I complete the Triathlon in Pacific Grove, I will be training for the Nike Women's Half Marathon ( http://inside.nike.com/blogs/nikerunning_events-en_US/?tags=nike_womens_marathon_2010) and the Women's Running Magazine Women's Half Marathon (http://www.womenshalfmarathon.com/scottsdale-tempe/), and last the annual Solano County Turkey Trot (http://www.solanoturkeytrot.org/)!  This is gonna be a long season and I have a long way to go... injury is not an option... REST when I need it is!

So, if I haven't seen you at practice or out on the street, I want to let you know... I'm BACK!  Back to training in the morning and a light swim tomorrow evening.  I know you missed the PHAT Athlete:  A Super Swimmer Bike Walker Texas Ranger! (Thanks Jen)

Ok all... Let's Keep It MOVING!  Today is gonna be the day!

PHAT Athlete!

No comments:

Post a Comment