Sunday, December 14, 2014

My Soul Is INSPIRED!

We ran for peace this weekend in Portland, Vallejo, Savannah and other Places. We ran for justice this weekend. We ran because others cannot run. Although we did not come to lots of solutions, we did come to one solution, that we're going to continue to seek a solution. #ICantBreathe run felt like a success. There were at least 100 people all over the country who got up out of their warm beds to run with me. Not just run with me on my regular Saturday run walk.  But to run with me in a dialogue. A dialogue about peace, justice, and equality. We also ran for those who have been victims of violence. For civilian on civilian violence, and police on police violence, and police on civilian violence, and civilian on police violence.  All acts of violence never end good.  Someone is always the aggressor and someone is always the victim. We've got to work on this culture of violence in our country. I'm not sure I have the answer, however I know there is an answer out there! And we will find it on a run.

Here in Portland Oregon we had a really nice turnout. Our run started around 8 o'clock as people begin to assemble, we talked about the reason why we came together, then talked about the loop, and let everyone go to walk/run around the waterfront. We assembled back at the water fountain on Salmon Street at about 9:05 AM. Everyone came back with smiles on their faces, the good feeling of burning in their chest from the fresh air, and just an attitude of gratitude of being awake on a day when it could be no more. We assembled in a really beautiful circle full of people of all races, ethnicities, cultures, background, age, education, love, and and hope. We took a minute, not a moment, to just stand in silence, reflecting on the unjust system that we live in and how 30 or so people could meet at 8 o'clock in the morning who are also very different seeking the same solution.  Honestly, I was overtaken with so much emotion I didn't really know how to explain it! However we talked about ways that we could continue this dialogue without being hateful or causing pain to anyone.  Solutions came forth like bringing positive stories to the second Saturday run to share with our youth, bringing more used to our second Saturday runs to just share and know that they are safe and people love them, to bring more men to our second Saturday run to show that we care about them and we're here for them, and to finds forums within our own communities that already exists that we can bring this message to as we strive for a more peaceful society. There was total agreement with each and every comment made and suggestion given. No one was willing to let's Saturday be the end of our push towards a just society.  

We all left by hugging three people that we did not know. Just to show love and hope to each other and to each other's children. The smiles on the faces of the children present was exciting. I hope I get to see those smiles again and that those smiles are not taken from us senselessly.

I'm going to continue my runs on the second Saturday of each month through June 2015.  I plan to meet at the same place, the same time, rain or shine, and make it know that I'm willing not only to use my mind to come up with a solution but I'm willing to use my body in a constructive way.  I guess when I say use my mind, I am putting myself out there to think of ways that we can stop the violence and really work on community relationships and getting people ready to relate to each other. I am also ready to use my body, meaning preparing it, for the task that is coming forth through exercise, healthy eating, and healthy meditation.

I am still overwhelmed by what happened on Saturday. I know I went along my day with other things in mind that were seemed more important in the moment that they happen. However the reflection in my mind all weekend, was the thought of The PEOPLE that came out to 8 AM run around the Portland waterfront all for justice, all for peace, all because they can't breathe.  I'm hoping, through my little gesture of organizing people to prepare themselves physically for the task towards reconciliation and peace that we have at hand in front of us, I am able to make a difference for at least one life in this United States of America. 

In Peace!

PhatAthlete

No comments:

Post a Comment