Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Great Find!!!

I found it!

I have looked high and low. Check website after website. And all it took was to go pick up some laundry detergent to find it! I knew #Target has a profile for me and knows what I'm looking for. They know so well they put new things in the store just for me to look at. But today, on the clearance rack, I found it! Yes I did!

Being a plus size athlete is sometimes very difficult. Not only do you have to deal with learning your body, learning your instruments, and learning how to perform in the world that's built for svelte skinny fast people, you also have the problem of finding the right gear in the right size at the right time. I've tried brands like #Nike, #Adidas, #Athleta, #Champion, #OldNavy, and sought other brands like #TYR and others to find items I need to perform as an athlete.  However most of the gear is not made for someone who is over an American size 10. Maybe I should clarify, most of the gear it's not design for someone over an American size 10. However, many items are made up to American size 20 but don't allow for extra room in areas that someone at that size would have compared to someone at an American size 10 what have. That being said, someone like me who may now be an American size 18 still has some attributes that are larger than the normal athletic cut. Yes… I am talking about the booty, the hips, and the breast. In my case I also have shoulders which prevent me from fitting in narrowly cut items. Even with stretch and materials that move with you, it is really difficult to find items that fit well so they perform well. And finding items for someone who's under 5'7 is also very difficult. So when one in my size and my height find an item that fits well, that moves well, and the price is well… Well you get it!  So… I bought it!

Today I found a jacket that is water resistant enough to run in the rain in Portland, Oregon.  Though it is a black jacket, with minimal reflection, I am smart enough to have reflective items to keep me visible in a dark area.  This #champion jacket that I purchased at #target is wonderful! It moves with my body, fits very well in the shoulders (Yay!), and was a good price for the type of jacket it was. Most jackets I see it this quality with this type of make cost between $89 and $150. And at that price most jackets don't even go pass an extra large, or American size 12-14. I paid $44 for this jacket. Yes I will have to find some reflections that keep me extra visible and coordinate with my outfit, however that should not cost me more than an additional $10. I purchased this jacket and an XXL and I feel like I have plenty of room in the jacket to pile on the clothes on really cold days.

I wish sportswear makers would consider size in clothes to fit people of all sizes. Besides, in a country that is morbidly obese is, why only market to a segment of the population who is pretty fit? I know fitness is in the eye of the beholder are, however can't someone that is not a smaller size also be fit, and look good while working out? Just a question. I'm not getting any deeper. Not today!

So here's my jacket! Let me know if you see any great workout gear finds for people who are larger than an American size 12! I would love to hear your review!

Let's get it!

PhatAthlete!


1 comment:

  1. The JCP line has decent jackets (great colors, wide range of sizes, good fit). Their tights, however, are very hit or miss. They're either too thin when you can finally pull them on or they don't have a high enough rise to even make it all the way up. I also like Lucy for tights (at least the pair I bought in 2008 are still holding strong).

    ReplyDelete