Saturday, July 24, 2010

“People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.” Norman Vincent Peale

Ahhhh!  What a day!  So, I admit, I did not go swimming today.  But gosh darn it, I did jog/walk from Aquatic Park to the end of Crissy Field!  YES!  I felt so good when I finished I could hardly believe I was able to sustain jogging as far as I did.  For those of you doing Nike Women's Marathon, you will understand what I am talking about when you get there.... Long and FLAT after two hills.

Today I am going to talk about gear.  Well, I was supposed to do that yesterday but I just had to go on about UPS.  (P.S.  I still don't have my wetsuit... does not UPS deliver on Saturdays? :) )  But I do want to talk a little about what is takes to do more than the casual walk around the block after dinner.  You know, gear does not have to be expensive; Wal-Mart caries the Danskin line which is comfortable and colorful but only at Wal-Mart.  Nike ( http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?sitesrc=uslp#l=shop,search,searchList-PlusSize )  and Adidas ( http://www.shopadidas.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=womens%20plus%20size&origkw=plus%20Size&sr=1) also have some workout wear in plus size.  I actually purchased Nike's running capris, a jacket, and several of the Dedication tops in plus size and I love them!  (And today I saw them in every size passing me and me passing at Crissy Field)  They breath well, don't ride up or down, but they cost a pretty penny. (But worth it!)  Also, check http://www.teamestrogen.com/ for other gear in plus size.  Most of their plus size wear is BORING in color, but it fits.  I haven't purchased anything from there, but you can let me know how it goes when you get something.  You can also go to some of the manufactures websites from Team Estrogen like Terry (My FAVORITE... Check their Plus tab and clearance tab for plus deals... http://www.terrybicycles.com/product/category/plus ), Shebeest (on Team Estrogen and at Sports Basement), and try other lines like Athleta (http://athleta.gap.com/? ) , SkirtSports (http://www.skirtsports.com/ ), and Danskin (http://www.danskin.com/plus.html ).  Keep in mind that sometimes, Plus Size really means Junior Plus so pay attention to sizes.  I purchased a few items from sites that were very proud of their plus size line but when I got it, it fit WAYYYY too small because it was not made for all the LOVE I have but rather someone who wears size 12 and just had a baby. (hee hee)

So, today on my jog/walk (I am so proud to say this!) I saw a lot of women in UGLY cotton sweats (from the boyfriends or husbands closets) and big T-shirts... NOT GOOD!   Even with Tide Sport do you wonder why you can get the funky smell out of these clothes... THEY WERE NOT MEANT FOR LONG TERM SWEATING even though they are called SWEAT PANTS!  Despite the resistance I am sure you will have, make sure you purchase polyester/Lycra blends... They are not hot... TRUST ME... I am always cold!  But they keep you warm once you have warmed up; the stains from sweat, chain oil, tire tracks, dog slob, or that ice cream sandwich you ate after the run come out with a little dish washing liquid or Shout; they wear better especially if you have thighs that rub together (Tangent:  Last year I was on a 10 mile walk and I wore right through the Old Navy Cotton Walking Pants that I purchased... My thighs were on FIRE!); and it is easier to get the workout funk out in the wash!  (Another Tangent:  I just started to have workout funk... I am so proud of me... I sometimes don't want to wash my jackets because I feel like I have progress when I have workout funk... But I have to use Tide Sport to get that funk out...hee hee) Oh did I mention that they don't get holes in them very easily if you hang them dry?

I am giving you all this information to encourage you to INVEST in great workout gear!  Yes, good shoes are MOST important but nice clothes will keep you motivated (I have a workout wardrobe).  Now, don't go broke and blame me when you start wearing your workout gear all of the time because it is cute and comfortable.  It also makes you feel better when you are out there and you don't have to tug, pull, adjust, or take off heavy gear that just weighs you down.  Get some cute stuff to workout in and mix it up!  I use some of my bike jerseys to go to the gym or on long walks because they are prettier than some of my other gear, they have pockets on the back to hold my CRAP, and they keep me from feeling sweaty and sticky while working out.  You can buy one of these to work out in too! (I like the ones from Terry!)

It is time for me to hit the sack.  If you have questions, don't hesitate to drop a comment.  I hope you are enjoying this blog as much as I am enjoying writing it!

Love you, Love me, and Love the World!  Believe in yourself and you will achieve GREAT things.

(Check out my favorite pair of socks... I love cute socks... Don't buy COTTON though...I lost one of these socks:(  )

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog! Go for the Workout Funkadelic! Victory is universally inspiring. Everybody identifies with the experience of tackling challenges, and I love your smiling spirit, your strength and your ass-kicking approach to any and all. Thank you, from a half-century old, recently-quit-smoking athlete. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MsFurniture... YES! Let's keep kicking butt until it kicks us. Keep watching and stay inspired... and Congrats on kicking the Butts of those Cigarettes! GET IT!

    ReplyDelete