Friday, September 30, 2011

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still - Chinese Proverb

STANDING STILL!  Isn't it amazing what happens when you stand still? 

Positive: 
You can reflect and learn from what was just accomplished. 
You can replenish, recharge and take in what is needed for the next journey.
You can take in what God has put on this Earth for us to enjoy.
You can take a deep breath.
You can clear your mind. (hahaha... Ocean Wave (inside joke))

Negative:
You become stiff, unable to move and hit with pain.
You don't know how to get started again.
You can be frozen with doubt.
You can forget why you are going in the direction you are going.
You become distracted by stopping and are not satisfied with where you thought you should be.

WOW!!! Standing still is amazing.  If you stand still long enough to get what you need to keep going, no matter the pace, forward movement is constant progress.  Standing still too long unproductive and stifling.

I have stood still too long.

This week has been an amazing transformation back into my focus on my health, my spirit, and my mind.  Oh how scared I was that my blood pressure had gone up.  I had not slept well in about 4 weeks, my eating habits, though not back, were not perfect, my leg hurt for two weeks almost to the point of being unable to move, and my mind kept racing though my body was standing still.  It was time to transform and I took the time to do just that. 

This week, I tried something new and did it slowly.  I went for an outdoor walk and it was wonderful.  I also tried a spin class.  A level 1 class to begin to develop some strength for next cycle season.  Honestly, I had tried spin classes in the past and HATED THEM!  But this was different.  It was 30 to 45 mins and it was pretty much a GO HARD or GO HOME class.  It was a test of my willingness to sweat it out and darn it, I did.  I liked it so much I have gone three times this week.  My butt hurts of course (I need to wear my padded pants and learn how to get out of the saddle) but my body feels wonderful. 

I also joined a wonderful group called "Black Girls Run- Sacramento" on Facebook (there is probably one near you).  What a great group of women interested in their health (not their hair) and encouraging others to do the same in a group setting.  I missed the run on Thursday because I wanted to get in a swim before it got cold.  But bet, you will see me out there next week doing what I can and what my body tells me I am capable of.

Well, I promised I would try to post once a week.  I hope someone gets something from this!  Have a GREAT week all!

PhatAthlete!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chica...great post! Also a great reminder to oceanwave every now and then! I started spinning in July as merely a way to reduce stress which was causing high blood pressure. Now that I've gotten that under control the weight is also starting to come off. It's been slow but steady movement forward. Keep pushing Phat Athlete. Glad you're back on track and thanks for inspiring us all to stay the course.

    ReplyDelete